Friday 22 February 2008

Save the earth & play the trumpet

I recently read that one of the reasons that MacDonalds became so popular initially was that they had a set menu which punters had to order off, removing the need for choice and speeding the whole process up.

This seems to fit in quite nicely with the capitalist model, following on from other famous mass-produced items such as the Model T Ford which Mr Ford advertised with the line "you can have any color, so long as it's black".

I was considering this the other day when I read about the new air-powered car being produced for the Indian market. What a brilliant idea, in a country where the roads are only differentiated from the land by the difference in dwellings based on them there is very little need for the ability to go from 0 to 100Kph in less than 5 seconds.

Similarly, there is little room for leg room with a billion other people surrounding you.

This also assists in providing an environmentally-friendly solution that will also assist economic growth in a fast developing country where environmental consideration ranks a fairly large last behind staying alive, eating and getting an education.

It does bring me back to my original point though, what if I want an air-powered engine in my current car? I live in a (mostly) developed country, why cant I have more choice? It is all about me!

Just think of the benefits of driving around while blowing into a little hose; you will get a work-out while driving, possibly improve your trumpet playing and it will certainly be a good way of shutting the kids up on long trips.

No comments: