Monday 11 February 2008

Overrated Countries - Updated

Some of you may recall my post last year in which I hypthesised about overrated countries, that is, countries that had large reputations for small results.

Well, it seems the rest of the world has caught up with me through the guise of the New York Times and the New Economist:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/13/world/europe/13italy.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

http://neweconomist.blogs.com/new_economist/2006/12/poor_italy.html

It seems that for all of Italy's romance, very little actually gets made (apart from Pizza's) and the famous (and often hilarious or violent) politicking goes on. Whats more, the economy is slowing and they are starting to experience a 'brain drain' - interesting for a country that is so arrogant and sure of itself (actually sounds a little familliar).

There is no question of Italy being a beautiful country with rich food and a richer history, but what of its future? A sorry thing to be cast down by a soothsayer of my powers.

1 comment:

Gervy said...

"70 percent of Italians between 20 and 30 still live at home, condemning the young to an extended and underproductive adolescence": this bit upset me. I lived at home until I was 29 and that enabled me to be even more productive in the workplace than most people because I outsourced taking care of me to my mum and dad. Vive L'Italia!