Tuesday 8 July 2008

Thought of the day: Heading home, good for business?

Ive begun planning my move back to Australia of late and during the joys of packing and cancelling bills, I came across this article claiming that Business travellers prefer Melbourne to Sydney.

What does this mean? That I wont enjoy Melbourne as much, unless Im on business? I know what I would'nt enjoy, and that's the commute from Melbourne airport to the CBD. Why Melbourne doesn't have a commuter-train is beyond me. Beyond this, why it doesnt have a train from te CBD of Melbourne to Sydney's city centre is also a good question.

I know that Victorians arent that well liked (though who really cares what the rest think?), but surely if the Brits and French can organise to put a train under a body of water between their two capitals, we can too?

That being said, borrowing from French train-engineering might not be the best move, given their history of striking and their lack of success with Connex in Melbourne. The Brits aint in great shakes either, it took me nearly 3 hours to get home from Heathrow the other night, which included an hour on the Heathrow 'Express'.

So perhaps they should borrow from the winning Melbourne model and just forget public transport and simply go for wide streets and good food instead, lord knows it would make a difference to London.

2 comments:

Gervy said...

Oh how I wish there was a very fast train between Sydney and Melbourne. I feel terrible about all our flights to Melbourne and back - our environmental footprint is massively enlarged despite not having our own car and living high-density... It's so wrong.

So when do you return home Dyl?

Gervy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.