Tuesday 15 July 2008

Thought of the day: Conspiracy theorists think too highly of mankind


"When I was young" is a great way to open a sentence. Not only does it make you sound like someone who gets a special parking space at supermarkets, it also means that people relax a little before you continue (as what comes next wont require too much concentration).

So, when I was young, I had to work hard to find ways of procrastinating. I clearly remember being sent into the backyard when I was naughty and all I had to entertain me there was bark. Even now I can remember my favourate pieces of bark.

Kids today, however, have YouTube. Ridiculous. As entertaining as it is addictive, it (like Wikipedia and the rabbit hole) can suck you right in for hours. No need for tree skin these days.

It was during one of my frequent periods of procrastination from study that I found myself in another YouTube spiral that brought me to conspiracy theory videos. Obviously this is where young folks' creativity is now being chanelled (no need for intergalactic bark wars on-line!).

From what I could tell from the conspiracy theory videos, god may not exist but there are people controlling organisations who are pre-determining everything. Now, this may be somewhat true but I seriously doubt that anyone has the ability to pull it off completely.

I work for a large mulitnational company and our network has been smashed this week by one of our more Luddite employees, who accidentally forwarded an attachment in an email to the whole company.

This has affected and morale productivity immensely, but also reminded me of how stupid people actually are, and how planning and pulling off global domination could only be done by an army of robots/zombies/ninjas (and possibly pirates).
If a whopping great company with loads of cash, highly trained staff and excellent technology and practices can be brought to ground by one .jpg, I hardly doubt a government department or some of beardy blokes can set when the next World War will begin.

Hence, I pay as much attention to conspiracy theorists and their prophecies of doom as I do to bark. Actually, bark probably still gets more of a look.

No comments: