Friday 30 May 2008

Top 5 - Career changes

After calculating my carbon footprint recently (pleased to announce Im well under the national average), the website I was using told me that I could offset my emmissions by paying for trees to be planted by a Bill Oddie approved group.

"Bill Oddie?" Thinks I, "the hairy dude from The Goodies?"

Well, it seems ol' Bill has become something of a conservationist here in the UK, making quite a change from the weird, hairy, drum-playing guy from the BBC show from the early 1980's.

This got me thinking, what are some of the better career changes that I know of, and here are the answers:
5) Bill Oddie
As above. He went from this:











To this:











Goes to show you that the environmentalists were fairly easy when it came to picking spokesmen back then.

4) Peter Garrett
Following on the environmental theme, Peter went from being the front man of Australian band 'Midnight Oil' to The Australian Federal Minister for the Environment.

Here is is in his heyday, and here he is today:















It turns out Peter may not be that awesome at his job, with the Labour government taking away a number of his powers, but they obviously arent going to mess around too much with someone who dances as crazy as Pete.

3) Madonna
From this, to an author of childrens story books.










2) Dexter Holland
Continuing on the musical theme, Dexter went from doing his PhD in molecular biology to the lead singer of a commercial punk-rock band. I guess it has something to do with self-esteem...

1) Albert Einstein



















Scientists are people I generally classify as 'clever', and Albert Einstein was recently voted the most clever of all of them in the 20th Century, thats pretty good for someone who started out as a patents clerk.

No comments: