Tuesday 22 April 2008

Top 5 - Reasons why the machines won't take over


When not selling my book, I work in IT. This is something of a misnomer though, as I seem to know almost nothing about how computers work. Whats more, I get paid for what I do know and there are still people (my age and younger) who are impressed by the little I (dont) know. Just dont ask me to name them.

I suppose in a perfect world you expect a carpenter to get to work and start sawing or hammering away as soon as they hit the shop, but when I get to work and find my computer not responding Im about as useful as driving lessons to a blind man.

While this does allow for more tea breaks, it doesnt lead me to believe any further in a future in which giant machines dominate our lives (such as that suggested in The Matrix, The Terminator and other movies) but rather one in which hoverboards dont even work over water (such as Back to the Future II).

And here are some more reasons why....

5) Upgrades:
Computers always need upgrading, and very rarely work as well once this has been done. This will make it hard for our metallic overloards (good name for a Metal band, that) to give chase if they are consistently pausing to get the latest version of 'Human Death Chase v1.2.4'

4) The Groundhog Day rule:





Remember when Bill Murray discovered he was immortal in 'Groundhog Day'? While he initially took pleasure in causing havoc, he soon turned to killing himself out of boredom before eventually working towards helping others. So, evil robots soon start topping themselves before becoming our slaves again. No problem.

3) Power:









Unless these supercomputers start finding a better alternative to bio fuels or a way of getting better performance from solar, they will stop being a threat once the non-renewables dry up. Im not suggesting that we all go out and burn coal just to avoid this threat, but lets not rule it out entirely...

2) Compitability:
Similar to the upgrading problem, what are the chances that the killing machines wont be able to accept and work with each other (this takes Mac v. PC to a new level!), or at least wont be able to upgrade themselves by the time that we work out how to corrupt them (e.g. Jeff Goldbloom with a Mac).

1) Laziness:












The assumption here is that all machines are made in their makers image, and therefore will become increasingly like their maker. As I mentioned already, I work in IT and am a pretty lazy person. Any machine that is created in my image, or the image of your standard IT person, isnt going to be so much a threat to mankind as it will be WOW gamers.

No comments: